Biden Administration Announces New Parole Programs

Q#1: I have heard that there are new parole programs that allow people to enter the United States legally if they are from a certain country. What are these programs and how do they work?

A#1: They are discretionary, country-specific humanitarian parole programs that allow for advance travel authorization if certain paperwork is filed online, you have a US Sponsor willing to provide financial support, and you can pass background checks.

Q#2: What countries qualify?

A#2: The specific countries are Ukraine, Venezuela, Cuba, Haiti, and Nicaragua.

Q#3: If I am granted parole, how do I enter the United States?

A#3: Once you are granted Parole, you need your passport and your parole approval, and you fly to the United States. Upon being vetted and granted entry to the United States, you then can settle into the United States and are work eligible. So, once you enter the United States and receive your Social Security Number, you can then immediately begin working.

Q#4: Does Humanitarian Parole give me lawful status inside the United States?

A#4: No. But there are similar programs to these, such as DACA and TPS, which have been in existence for 10 years and for 24 years that don’t give a person a lawful “status”. So, although these programs could be canceled or challenged in the courts, many equivalent programs have been around for a long time.

Q#5: What should I do if I have a family member or know a person who qualifies for these parole programs?

A#5: If you believe your friend or family member qualifies for these programs, you should meet with a competent immigration attorney to discuss the application, the procedure, potential pitfalls, and the ultimate benefits of applying for these parole programs.

Eamonn P.S. Roach is an attorney of the firm Roach & Bishop, LLP in Pasco, Washington, who practices immigration law. This information does not constitute legal advice. It is possible that this information does not apply to you. Each case depends on specific facts. If you have questions regarding the immigration laws that you would like answered in this column, please send them to: Eamonn P.S. Roach, 9221 Sandifur Pkwy, Suite C., Pasco, WA 99301, phone: (509) 547-7587, fax: (509) 547-7745; or email

About Roach & Bishop

At Roach & Bishop, we are more than just a law firm. We are a team of dedicated local lawyers with over 60 years of experience, committed to serving our community with integrity, determination, and a deep understanding of the law. Our practice areas span from immigration to criminal defense, from family law to estate planning, and beyond. We’ve handled hundreds, even thousands, of cases, always striving to achieve the best possible outcomes for our clients.

Recent Posts